Friday, February 19, 2010

State of Public Relations Address

My Fellow Public Relations Professionals:


Over a year ago today, I began my personal job search. Despite knowing the economy wasn’t in the best state, I thought I would not become an unemployment statistic; I figured my ambition and can-do attitude, as well as my extensive resume for a recent college graduate, would be enough to obtain a job. However, over the past 12 months, I have distributed close to 350 resumes and cover letters as well as conducted a freelance identity campaign and event. Unfortunately, I have not succeeded in securing a job or moving out of my parents’ house.


As President Barack Obama recently mentioned in his State of the Union Address, one in ten Americans still cannot find work. With Ohio having the 39th worst economy - and unfortunately, this is the state I reside in - I am not surprised that I cannot find a job in any industry, especially PR. To accompany my hundreds of applications, I have also turned to the food industry and have considered employment at Walmart if all else fails.


However, after questioning my future and career path, I can firmly state that public relations is where I belong. My spirit may have wavered slightly during these past nine months, but I have never given up, just like other Americans during this tough economic time.


I have faith in the economy despite the rising unemployment rates. My hope is rooted in groups like Help A PR Pro Out, PR Open Mic, and the Public Relations Society of America (just to name a few), none of which have given up on the public relations profession. They are striving to help employ individuals as well as restore something all of us have lost a little bit of – hope.


Through these organizations, as well as the guidance and support from PR professionals, I will overcome the obstacles that have plagued our industry. I know I have endured a very difficult year, just like many other people, and recovery is in the near future.


Thank you. God Bless You. And God Bless the United States of Public Relations.


To get a glimpse of my resume, please check out "My Resume" post

1 comment:

Marc Hausman said...

Hi there,

Thanks for including my "Strategic Guy" blog in your blogroll.

When you have a moment, send me by Email at mhausman at gotostrategic.com a couple of recent writing samples. They can be blog posts, thought leadership articles, etc.

Thanks,

Marc