Sunday, October 12, 2008

I Just Want to Live

I have spent the last two hours trying to figure out my life. Okay, maybe not my life, but my last two quarters here at ONU. The past few days have consisted of me freaking out numerous times, not sure what the upcoming months will bring. Everything started with a piece of paper, most of which students are happy to receive.

THE graduation application. When I picked up the piece of paper Friday, I was quite excited but almost instantly had a panic attack. I can't believe that my four years of college are slowly coming to an end when I feel like I just found the secret on how to survive (for the most part anyways). I don't know what my next steps are and this scares the stuffing out of me. Do I continue onto graduate school or find a job and put those plans on hold? If I do apply for graduate school, where do I want to go and study? These are the questions I am not ready to face because I don't know the answers.

After high school, I knew what I was going to do. You go to college, since that's where all of the good and smart teenagers go. I didn't think about studying abroad since I was too scared to leave my family and I never got arrested before I was 18. Not saying that everyone gets arrested or that I want to (since that would ruin my good girl reputation), but I just feel like I have lived too safe of a life thus far because I am scared to go out of my comfort zone.

This is mainly why my blog is titled "Here's to Life...and No Regrets" because within the past year or so, I have just started to let the unexpected happen. However, I have so much that I still want to do while in college, I think I need to keep a list - kind of like a bucket list. Not like in the movie, but a list of everything I want to do before I graduate, no matter how big or small. Life is so uncertain that I want a list to tell me what I have and need to accomplish before I leave Ada. I need something to guarantee me that I will make time to have fun during the stressful months leading up to graduation.

I will most likely post my bucket list with a twist on my blog, just in case anyone wants to join. I think making time for fun is the most important lesson to learn in college and one of the only ways to get out alive. Unfortunately, too many of us freak out about miniscule issues, like a test or paper that won't matter in five years.  I would rather get a decent grade instead of an outstanding one on a test to be able to look back at a memory and say, "Wow, what a night." 

1 comment:

CaseyDee said...

Katalyn, I couldn't agree with you more! Sure, college is supposed to be teaching us all of the skills we'll need to survive in the job market of the future, but in the mean time, it's what we teach OURSELVES that ends up mattering most. I came to the same revelation you did about a year ago when I finally worked up the courage to change my major from nursing to PR. All that stressing out over a subject that I wasn't passionate about was silly. Now with my new major and new outlook on life, I'm proud to say that when I'm finally done with school after next fall (lucky you for getting out a quarter before me!!) I can look back on the college experience and say I lived it all... without regrets!