Monday, September 15, 2008

A Fanatic is Identified

I had another post here originally, but after reading what I thought was an amazing entry, I realized I didn't make any sense. I guess that is what happens when you write and post early in the morning hours.

Anyways, I read the first chapter in "Citizen Marketers" and I think I have found a school book I actually enjoy. I am not going to lie - I, like most college students, do not read their text books. However, I actually like this book and continued reading into the second chapter. Ben McConnell and Jackie Huba provide information on how bloggers and consumers are the message, just not the messenger, in a very easy to read format. 

I think what I found the most interesting about the reading was the different types of citizen marketers in chapter one cleverly named "Filters, Fanatics, Facilitators, and Firecrackers." I wasn't aware bloggers could be classified, let alone into four distinctive groups. After reading, I was able to identify the different types of blogs, which I must say lead me to feel somewhat accomplished.

I also self-diagnosed myself into the Fanatics group. I love to keep track of certain brands, companies and people, especially now during this election year. I never thought of starting a blog about my obsessions but I guess that is what Fanatics do. I mean, who would have thought a blog about Barq's root beer exists and people actually follow these posts? Maybe I will start an unbiased blog on politics and everything surrounding the election because that is something I would like to do, but I don't know if I am ready to subject myself to people's comments... so, I guess just stay tuned and we shall see what comes about.

Even though I am glad to be a Fanatic (I have the accompanying personality), I would love to be a Firecracker. These individuals might only be one-hit wonders, but they know how to make their 15 minutes of fame count. My favorite Firecracker video is "My New Haircut," which has over 50 parodies. I know that this is a popular video when my own mother starts quoting the video; unfortunately, I am not going to post the video below as we all know the language isn't appropriate for a school assignment. However, here are a few other videos you might find humorous while people are enjoying their 15 minutes of fame:

- Crazy Frog Bros
- The Evolution of Dance
- Charlie Bit My Finger
- Ohio Northern's own - "You've Lost that Sig Ep Feeling"

Let me know some of your favorites to contribute to my procrastination.

No comments: