Sunday, October 26, 2008

National Conference - Take 2

Well, the second official full day of Conference is over. I must admit, today was pretty awesome. We had a great speaker, stellar sessions, a social with PRSA and a delicious dinner at Fishbone's with amazing professionals. However, I felt more accomplished today than any other day thus far.

This morning, Tyler Page, Vice President of Professional Development, hosted a session on student-run firms. Now, I am past firm director for Ohio Northern's Vision Communications, so I have some experience with small student-run firms. Since Tyler and I have worked very closely together over the past few months with VisComm and other firm-related activities, he asked me to be on the panel. Now, I have always gone to sessions for student-run firms and the same information has always been shared. Unfortunately, this info does not benefit small chapters since we do not have an application process or don't charge our clients.

However, this year was different. Page had me talk about why I applied VisComm for National Affiliation and how obtaining this honor has changed the firm thus far. The greatest sense of accomplishment came once Q&A started. Many of the students in the firm session belong to schools like ONU, so I was able to give beneficial answers instead of just talking, like the larger student firm did. Students and advisors asked for my business card - I never thought that would happen. They wanted my help and I am viewed as a semi-expert for small schools.

After being on the student-run firm workshop panel, I know what I want to do after I graduate from ONU. I want to go to graduate school and become the next VP of Professional Development. I respect Page so much and applaud all of his efforts he has done with this position. I also give great thanks to all PRSSA and VisComm members who came to the panel this morning and are active to make all these efforts possible. Who knows, maybe this desire I have for student-run firms will keep me going to establish my own PR firm. Maybe I will become like Dr. I or Alisa and influence students' lives on a daily basis. The rush of being able to help complete strangers just drives me and that is exactly why I entered public relations.

1 comment:

Dr. Alisa Agozzino said...

You won't be like us... you'll be BETTER! You can do it Katalyn!