Tuesday, October 28, 2008

First-time Voter

Disclaimer: I wanted to post this on October 23, but I didn't have time before I left for National Conference. However, I wrote this in a word document and forgot to post once we figured out how to get the Internet. 

I voted for the first time today! Yes, I am "that" person who has the voting sticker proudly displayed on my shirt and am telling everyone I voted. However, unlike other individuals, I am not disclosing who I voted for. I will not let someone criticize me for choosing what I think is a personal choice - if you want to share, good for you. If not, let the person keep the secret.

I will admit, as I was driving to the location where I needed to vote, I became extremely nervous. I had a million questions running through my mind, wondering who would make a better president. Throughout the past months, I have leaned toward one candidate more than the other; however, when I went in to vote, I started second guessing myself. I kept thinking, "What if I vote for this candidate, they get elected and everything gets worse?" I didn't know if I could handle feeling that I chose someone to lead and they did a worse job.

Despite these feelings, I overcame my fears and doubts to vote. I went into the booth and stared at all the candidates along with their running mates. I couldn't believe how many people were on the list - at least two pages worth. Once I saw all the names, I began to freak out again. I thought of my one guy friend writing in Mickey Mouse's name and I contemplated pulling a similar stunt. 

However, I thought about how involved I have been in this election and I wouldn't allow myself to not vote for an actual individual. After contemplating for at least 10 minutes, I finally casted my vote and ballot in my first general election. I felt such a rush and pride in voting, since I have not been able to partake in this responsibility until this election. 

For this reason, I urge all of you to vote. Get informed within the next week (yes, only one week left until Election Day) about the candidates and issues in your community so you can have an impact. If you don't vote, results will occur that you won't like and you can't complain about since you didn't execute your say. Vote so you can actually complain about what the future president is doing and be taken seriously.

No comments: