Sunday, September 28, 2008

Rounds

After a rough week, sorority recruitment rounds began this weekend. Everything went fine on Friday night, which was the first round. However, tonight was a different story.

As a Rho Gamma (recruitment counselor), you see a completely different side of recruitment and have a very different perspective on the situation. You know how everything works behind the scenes in each sorority and how the system works. You also have the experience of being a young woman going through recruitment and all the feelings associated with recruitment. However, none of this will prepare you for what you have to deal with as a Rho Gamma.

For example, tonight I had to give girls the bad news that they weren't going back to a certain chapter. Most took the news as I expected - a little upset and wanted to know why they weren't going back. For other girls, the news crushed them and seeing this made me want to crawl under a rock. The looks on the girls' faces just wanted to make me try and fix the situation, even though I know I can't do anything to help.

After seeing this tonight, I started to think about how this can be applied to real life (I always try to find something positive out of an experience). I realized that being mean and hurtful toward people isn't worth the time or energy. I mean, being nice to everyone may not be possible, but you never know how your actions can influence someone else's life. I think I am going to try and do this, so we'll see how long this lasts.

No comments: