Tuesday, September 30, 2008

The Rules of How Not to be Stupid

Most people I am close with know I have a low tolerance for dumb people. So, when I came across this article on how not to be an idiot on Twitter, I had to write about the subject. 

The post, cleverly entitled "Twitteriocy," provides six ground rules on how not to make a fool of yourself on Twitter. I found Jeremy Pepper's insight to be very interesting, especially since social media can be detrimental to people and their client's if used wrong. I can regurgitate the stories Jeremy provides, but I think you should read the post yourself to obtain the full effect.

However, an interesting fact came about from the post. The first rule is "don't let your PR firm set up and be your Twitter account." When I first started reading this rule, I wondered why Jeremy would suggest such an idea; having the PR firm be the client's Twitter account keeper makes perfect sense. I kept reading, though, to find a PR firm was charging their client $7,000 a week to update their tweets and other Twitter-related activities. 

As everyone knows, I am obsessed with Twitter and am on the site constantly. But charging $7,000 a week to maintain a Twitter page is slightly ridiculous. Updating tweets and replying to individuals (the fourth rule) is not $7,000 worth of work. I also agree with Jeremy that the actual client should be updating their own Twitter page. This way the PR firm does not have to wait for their client's approval on what they can and cannot post.

However, most clients PR firms work with are technologically impaired. This would hinder the company from updating their Twitter page and violating the rules provided by Jeremy. I know I would not have a problem maintaining clients' pages for a fraction of this price and enjoy every minute of my new found position. Who knows, maybe I can work for a company or PR firm as a Twitter monitor... a twonitor if you will.

1 comment:

j-vaidya said...

I read the article you suggested, I agree, very interesting stuff.

Im trying to sort my way through the uses and functionality of Twitter right now as well.

I have found some useful information for people starting out with this new medium. If you liked that article you will probably like this slideshow about Twitter marketing, branding and customer service I found on Matt Dickman's blogthe other day(he works for Fleishman-Hillard).

I was shocked to read in the article you posted that so many business are paying $7,000 for a PR firm to manage their Twitter account. Doesn't that defeat the whole purpose of talking to your customers and getting real feedback?

I can't believe how many companies just don't "get it" and keep trying to exploit every new resource as a marketing tool.

If people were to just understand the potential benefits intrinsic in engaging your customers in a REAL conversation, like free R&D, marketing information, publicity and even the almighty dollar, EVERYONE would be on-board.