Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Facebook Getting Political?

As I was reading the Wall Street Journal (WSJ) on Monday before my retailing class, I came across a very interesting article entitled "Facebook Political Ads Test Limits." The article focuses on how special interest groups are starting to buy advertisements on Facebook to promote or smear a candidate.

However, something is different about these ads compared to past smear campaigns. Instead of providing false  information, the ads are actually linked to news stories from credible sources, such as AP, the Washington Post and WSJ. Also, the buyer of the advertisements stay anonymous, which is unusual for smear campaigns (we come to find out MoveOn.org is responsible for the ads). Individuals of an organization take pride in tearing down the other party (which I still don't understand) and this is seen by the approval of the message at the end of the video.

What I don't understand is why people and special interest groups want to partake in talking "smack" about the other party. I honestly see this as distasteful and makes the individual talking about their opponent look bad. I feel smear ads are based off of rumors and target uneducated individuals, resulting in the success of the bad mouthing candidate.  

However, how MoveOn did the smear ads on Facebook is innovative and supports the stated claims. I'm not saying just because the ad states "AP: Palin Lied," the article will say that directly. I feel, even though MoveOn is sometimes extreme, they are changing how smear ads are done by providing support. 

My name is Katalyn and I approve this message.

1 comment:

Evan E. Roberts said...

Love the last line!! I actually wrote a post similar to this one on mudslinging, which has been worse than last week's Mud Volleyball tournament, in this election. I don't get it either!!

Talking bad about another person only makes you looks more petty, that's basic playground 101! Especially if what you're saying is in no way relevant to what you're supposed to be talking about. Comparing and contrasting candidates is one thing, elementary trash-talk is another deal...