Monday, October 20, 2008

Social Media Getting an 'F'?

I found this blog post through my usual channel. However, I am very upset after reading Marc Hausman's post, entitled "Colleges Fail on Social Media." I will try to contain my anger and frustration, as I realize this is one individual's opinion. Hausman begins his blog by posing a question: "Are the journalism and communications programs at US colleges preparing students for a business environment shaped by social media and Web 2.0 technologies?"

And what is his final answer? US colleges are failing to prepare students. Hausman answers his own question based off of ONE visit to an American University social media class. I won't go through the details of the post since you all should read and comment on his thoughts (believe me, you'll be angry). 

I am more or less upset that Hausman and the other individuals are not giving college students enough credit. Just because one college social media class didn't know about Blogger, Twitter, LinkedIn, etc. doesn't mean that the future of social media and Web 2.0 are doomed. I feel that Hausman should attend another social media class so he has a better, more informed opinion. If anyone is attending the PRSA International Conference, they can stop by the PRSSA National Conference and see the different sessions offered on social media. 

2 comments:

CaseyDee said...

Wow, Katalyn. I would think if ANYONE was going to comment on this post it would be Aggy, not me! I am sure that ONU is not the only school that offers classes in social media that are worth taking. Maybe I'm biased, but I definitely think Agozzino's class has taught me much more than I could've hoped on lesser-known topics in social media and Web 2.0. If there is anything I've learned about the future of social media and Web 2.0, it's that there is no stopping it. Someone who says it's doomed is terribly misinformed.

Marc Hausman said...

Hi there,

You make a good point as it is unfair for me to make a sweeping generalization of all college students based on one experience at American University.

In fact, I've gotten beaten up pretty good in the comments section of the "Strategic Guy" blog. That's one of the great things about social media though -- interaction and the exchange of ideas.

The purpose of my post was to express concern after my visit to AU. If one communications program is failing to address social media, I suspect there are many others out there as well. I think we can all agree that's a problem.