Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Podcasting

The longer I am in this social media class, the more nerdy I feel I become. I caught myself talking to my best guy friend about blogs and podcasts last night. I would have continued talking about them for awhile but he told me I was a nerd and he didn't understand what I was talking about. At that point in time, I realized I am actually understanding all of this "geeky stuff" (those are his words, not mine).

Even though I have known what podcasts are, I never really understood how they worked. I mean, I know what an RSS feed is and that podcasts use them but I didn't understand how everything worked together until I did today's readings. I'm still not completely sure I understand, but I have a better idea and now know you don't have to be a genius to start podcasts.

However, after reading last night, I was on Twitter and came across a very interesting podcast that I ended up subscribing to. I figured to better understand how this part of social media works, I should subscribe to one or two podcasts. Allie Osmar focuses on how to balance work in a PR agency with going to college, which is the perfect podcast for me to subscribe to since I want to try to attend grad school and work in an agency. I have only listened to a little bit of the first podcast I downloaded, which is available on iTunes, but I have a feeling these will also become one of my new addictions, right next to Twitter and this blog.

2 comments:

Dr. Alisa Agozzino said...

You are not a geek...You are cool!

Allie Osmar said...

Thanks for the shout out - podcasts are a great way to keep up on news and trends in any niche, so geeky or not, they are a great resource. Best of luck to you!