Sunday, September 21, 2008

Dirty, Sexy PR

Once again, I was on Twitter (really, I am not that big of a creep... just extremely bored) and found an article from The New York Times about how public relations practitioners are obtaining press. After working at a PR agency this summer, I know the importance of having a press release followed up or printed. To do this successfully, you have to make your client or a product sound new and exciting, dangerous... or sexy?

All of us are aware that sex sells, but you have to draw the line at some point. You cannot use words to grab someone's attention to only have the story be about something completely different. I feel practicing public relations like this is unethical (the misdirecting people) and only unexperienced individuals will use type of tactic. But I guess we all can't find the sex appeal in toxic shower curtains.

1 comment:

CaseyDee said...

Wow! My first reaction to that article was probably much like yours. It went something like, "that is definitely not how we learn to practice PR in college." What's even crazier is the fact that most of those people who are writing the releases using the misleading language were probably taught the same way as us. What changes? I'd say it all comes down to money. We gotta make that money as quick and as easy as possible, preferring to do what we know will work over what we know is the right way. I fully agree that it's unethical, and I'd like to think that at least the PR graduates of ONU will remember that when we're the ones out there "making that dollar."