Tuesday, November 4, 2008

The New Rules for Reaching the Media

We haven't had our social media class in two weeks and I am pretty sure withdrawal might be starting to set in. Not withdrawal from the class per say but from not obtaining new tools and sites for me to play with - I can only tweet so much in one day. To fulfill this small void, I decided to start reading even more blogs. The one that I found this morning relates to a chapter that we had to read today from "The New Rules of Marketing & PR."

I came across Paul Matson's blog entitled "The Social Media Institute" through PROpenMic's Twitter page. Matson's newest blog post was "How to pitch using social media" and since the chapter in the book was entitled "The New Rules of Reaching the Media," I thought this would be a perfect match. Even though David Meerman Scott (author of the book) provides excellent tips on how to pitch to the media overall, Matson gives individuals actual tools to use for social media pitching.

Matson has HARO as number one, and if you haven't looked at this Web site (which you should have from another post), then check out this resource. He also lists other sites that can help you build your media lists, where to find/post story ideas and even sites in which you can create a Fan Page. Overall, I find Matson's blog to be more relevant to our social media class than Scott's chapter. Scott seems to provide information that seems to be common knowledge or at least should be for people in PR. Matson's blog, on the other hand, gives great advice and Web sites to visit that are actually new and exciting. If you don't believe me, check him out for yourself.

No comments: