Thursday, October 9, 2008

Be Damn Good

After attending PRSSA meetings for three years, I am used to hearing the same type of speakers and usually similar topics. You hear about how to create your own story and how to separate yourself from peers. You listen to their successes and failures, taking in everything usually out of interest but sometimes just out of respect. Don't get me wrong, I love PRSSA and our meetings. I mean, how can I not with the awesome speakers, and sweet Executive Board and Advisors we have?

However, tonight defined the stellar meeting. I have never left a PRSSA meeting feeling so empowered and passionate about what I am doing with my life. Tonight's speaker was Dr. Joe Trahan and he had to have given the best presentation. Usually I am ready for speakers to be done and get the awkward question portion over with so I can talk to the guest. But tonight was different. I wanted Joe to stay and talk for the rest of the night, hearing his stories, random knowledge and advice.

Trahan talked about being a leader, which we have heard about how many times before. However, he presented his leadership discussion with stories and acronyms. He demonstrated how being a leader is like making a gumbo - you need the right amount of ingredients to have a successful outcome. You need love as the base for the recipe, then ethos, action and determination to add substance. To finish off the perfect gumbo (or leader), you need a great amount of examples and responsibility.

As he ended the presentation, Trahan shared a quote from Theodore Roosevelt. Unfortunately, I was not able to find the exact one he quoted. However, Trahan said, "If you enter my profession, be good. Be damn good. Make a change." As if his entire presentation wasn't already inspiring, this last sentence made me want to be that much better. I want to keep learning, keep gaining the competitive advantage. I want students and young professionals to look at me some day like we all did tonight at Trahan and Dr. Iseman. 

I want to be the change in the world. I believe one person can make a difference, and if I stick with that philosophy throughout life, I will be able to achieve the changes I want to see. By just speaking this evening, Trahan inspired all 28 students in the classroom. He made all of us want to be the best leaders possible. I think in a way, Trahan also inspired all of us to dream during the dreaded midterm week - dream about what we want to do with our lives and how to better everything we do. 

No comments: