Tuesday, October 14, 2008

The Old Facebook

We had to read the article "Brave New World of Digital Intimacy" by Clive Thompson for today's class. I must admit, I enjoyed the article and made me start reminiscing about the old Facebook. You know what I am talking about - the one from freshman or sophomore year when you could only get a Facebook account with a college e-mail address. Unfortunately, a college e-mail address doesn't mean anything to Facebook today.

Facebook was such a great concept. I mean, what other sites were for college students only? None, and unfortunately the number has not changed. At one point, we were able to post whatever we wanted, including pictures from the previous night, without worrying about how this would affect our ability to get a job, into graduate school or even an internship. 

Since Facebook went public, my use has decreased a drastic amount. Yes, I still go on the site and "stalk" people but compared to freshman year, I cannot waste four hours on the site. I either become irritated because Facebook crashes or I can't find what I am looking for since even searching has become quite tricky. I have a feeling that I will stop using Facebook once all of my current friends are out of college, which will be in a few years.

As quoted in Thompson's article, Mark Zuckerberg said, "Facebook has always tried to push the envelope. And at times that means stretching people and getting them to be comfortable with things they aren't yet comfortable with. A lot of this is just social norms catching up with what technology is capable of." I realize Facebook has to keep up their cutting-edge reputation, but a site can only be redone so many times before people start leaving. Some of the most dedicated users, including myself, have been tempted to remove their profiles. 

I just do not understand why a site needs as many bells and whistles as Facebook has. Is there really a need to have all the different applications and quizzes? And why do they have to keep changing the format if the old worked just fine? Call me old or stubborn, but I want the old, you-need-a-college-e-mail-address-to-get-an-account Facebook.

No comments: